Cricket Australia chief executive Nick Hockley called the damaging allegations about a former player’s conduct off the pitch “unfounded”.
The Sunday Age reported on Sunday an alleged phone call between former Cricket Australia integrity officer Sean Carroll and a “high class escort”, which allegedly took place “several years ago”.
In a recording of the phone call, the woman claimed she had information that could destroy the career of the “well-known” but unidentified player.
The woman made allegations to Carroll that the player was dancing naked on a balcony, openly using cocaine and antics with numerous women.
Hockley said CA reported the leak to authorities.
“I saw the article this morning. These reports are unfounded, ”Hockey told reporters.
“They are historic. Any theft of confidential information is a crime.
“We reported it and get help from Vic police.
“It’s really important that people can contact our integrity line with confidence that it will be secure.
“Certainly our processes, we review them regularly, to make sure they’re absolutely best practice.”
The Sunday Age said the recording was received via an encrypted email service from an anonymous address, with the source claiming to be a former CA staff member “who wanted to expose the loopholes in the unit. integrity ”.
This is the second explosive leak on CA in as many months.
Tim Paine resigned as test captain on the eve of the Ashes, and then walked away from all forms of cricket, after it was revealed he had been investigated for a sexting incident with a Cricket Tasmania colleague in 2017.
The counter clerk was cleared by the CA board of directors of any violation of his code of conduct.
Paine has been replaced as captain by Pat Cummins and will almost certainly no longer represent Australia.
CA “very committed” to his tour in Pakistan
Meanwhile, Hockley is confident that Australia’s first test tour to Pakistan in 24 years will take place in March despite new COVID-19 concerns over the Omicron strain.
The series between the two countries have only been played in Australia, the United Arab Emirates and England since 1998 due to security concerns in Pakistan.
“We just sent a (CA leadership) team to Pakistan,” Hockley said.
“We are working in close collaboration with the PCB and all the authorities.
“It’s a really complex business, we are very attached to the tour.
“It is absolutely our intention to tour as long as it is safe to do so.”
Australia have not played an overseas test match since the 2019 Ashes final at The Oval, but are expected to tour India and Sri Lanka next year along with the planned trip to Pakistan.