WASHINGTON, July 2 (Reuters) – The US Treasury announced on Friday it had lifted sanctions on three Iranians, but said this did not reflect a change in its sanctions policy towards Iran and had nothing to do with the sanctions. talks on restoring US and Iran’s compliance with the 2015 Iran Nuclear Accord.
The Treasury said it has determined that Behzad Ferdows, Mehrzad Ferdows and Mohammad Reza Dezfulian are no longer stranded under Executive Order 13382, which targets weapons of mass destruction proliferators and their supporters.
The order froze their US assets and prohibited US nationals from doing business with them. All three were also subject to secondary sanctions, which meant that non-U.S. People who dealt with them risked being punished and cut off from the U.S. market.
Erich Ferrari, a lawyer who represented the three men in a lawsuit against the Treasury, arguing that there was “insufficient basis” for their designation, said “there had been a dismissal of the claims”. He declined to comment further.
A Treasury spokesperson pointed out that the US decision to remove the three from its list of specially designated nationals who are subject to certain US sanctions had nothing to do with collateral talks on reviving the deal. Iran nuclear 2015, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
“These withdrawals do not reflect any change in the US government’s sanctions policy towards Iran. They have nothing to do with the ongoing JCPOA negotiations in Vienna,” the spokesperson said on condition of anonymity.
Iran and the United States had indirect talks in Vienna on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and the great powers that imposed restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activities in exchange for lifting international sanctions.
Reporting by Daphne Psaledakis and Arshad Mohammed; edited by Jonathan Oatis
Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.