The Hydronic Industry Alliance-Commercial (HIA-C), a committee of the Radiant Professionals Alliance (RPA), has released version 6.0 of its Building Efficiency System Tool (BEST), an interactive system efficiency comparison application HVAC of commercial buildings.
The revised software, available online at no cost, adds the ability to compare projected costs and energy consumption for all HVAC systems and hot water consumption in any building based on what is known, and almost all inputs can be adjusted once the design process has begun.
The new version includes the following:
- Ability to model multiple heating and cooling sources. This allows the modeling of all electrical systems using cascading heat pumps and backup sources.
- Cascading systems can include:
- Air-to-water (ATW) heat pumps with water-to-water (WTW) boosters and boiler backup sources.
- Water-to-air (WTA) heat pumps with ATW heat pumps and boiler backup sources.
- WTW and WTA heat pumps with hybrid geothermal sources.
- Air-to-air (ATA) heat pumps with furnace, boiler or resistance back-up sources.
- Multiple types of configurable heating or cooling sources for load sharing.
- Air-source heat pumps with the ability to model user-definable ambient temperatures for switching on backup sources or shutting down the heat pump.
“BEST is an early modeling tool for sorting out options for HVAC systems when very little information is known about the building,” said Greg Cunniff, PE, director of applied solutions for Williams Comfort Products in a press release. “With the trend towards all-electric solutions – including cascade heat pump systems – BEST is able to compare these innovative ideas quickly and easily.”
BEST 6.0 is available for download HERE.